Registered Echo Sonographer
For more than 90 years St. Mary’s General Hospital has fostered a culture of innovation, compassion and respect. With this vision, St. Mary’s has developed an environment that inspires people to perform to the best of their ability. Passion, excellence and innovation are deeply embedded in all we do. St. Mary’s uses these principles to foster a healthy, supportive work environment that cares for the well-being of our community – mind, body and spirit. When you join St. Mary’s, your contribution will make a positive impact to the quality of life for patients and families. In addition, you will join a team dedicated to making St. Mary’s the safest and most effective hospital in Canada.
New employees must provide documentation of a 2-step TB screening, as well as proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chickenpox) prior to their start date at St. Mary’s General Hospital. Staff will require clearance from Employee Health and Wellness before they are able to begin any position within SMGH.
The Registered ECHO Sonographer ensures that optimal imaging quality is obtained. Those in this role accurately and fully complete documentation and preliminary reports as well as storing images on PACS. The Registered ECHO Sonographer provides assistance to Physicians before, during and after all procedures as required. The Registered ECHO Sonographer ensures that optimal imaging quality is obtained. Those in this role accurately and fully complete documentation and preliminary reports as well as storing images on PACS. The Registered ECHO Sonographer provides assistance to Physicians before, during and after all procedures as required. The successful applicant will be required to cover shifts at St. Mary’s and as necessary at Grand River Hospital.
- Perform thorough and accurate ultrasound examinations of the heart and supporting structures on outpatients and inpatients including portable Echos in specialized units, transesophageal echocardiograms, stress echocardiograms, intravenous insertion as required, contrast and bubble studies and assisting with ultrasound guided pericardiocentesis
- Ensuring total patient care and safety during procedures
- Reviewing and discussing findings with cardiologists and referring physicians
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Current credentialed member of Sonography Canada and/or current registration with the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) and the College of Medical Radiation and Imaging Technologist of Ontario (CMRITO)
- Graduate of a recognized program and active member in good standing with CMRITO
- Two to three (2-3) years current work experience with adult echocardiography, contrast, stress and transesophageal echocardiograms
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Functional knowledge of cardiac anatomy
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Must have valid transportation as travel may be required to other sites
SMGH fosters a culture of inclusiveness, patient and staff safety. All reasonable accommodations will be made for this position.
*As per the collective agreement, the internal recruitment process will be completed prior to the consideration of external applications.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code. SMGH requires all new hires to submit a valid Criminal Record Check that may include a Vulnerable Sector Screen prior to start date.
SMGH is committed to complying with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) to provide an inclusive, barrier free workplace. We will accommodate the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. Should you require this accommodation, please contact the HR Administrator.
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest and only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to confirm the receipt of individual applications or resumes.
Please apply through the following website: https://www.smgh.ca/careers-physicians-volunteers/careers/
More Career Opportunities
Looking to hire?
Sonography Canada is dedicated to promoting and advancing the ultrasound profession by helping employers find qualified sonographers for their organizations.
Submit a Job Posting