Who We Are
Sonography Canada is THE single national voice for the Sonography profession in Canada.
Our association represents over 6,500 members by:
- Supporting the profession through our national credentials and entry-to-practice credentialing exams. A Sonography Canada credential indicates that sonographers have met national educational and competency requirements of the profession.
- Supporting the diagnostic medical sonographer through their career, by offering continuing professional development (CPD in the form of webinars, hands-on workshops, and our annual national conference, and other resources, such as the Canadian Journal of Medical Sonography
- Advocating on behalf of the profession, and
- Providing standardized policy and professional practice guidelines, intended as the entry- to-practice standard for Canadian sonographers in the delivery of safe, effective, high quality and ethical patient care. The guidelines are based on the Sonography Canada National Competency Profiles, national practice surveys, and review of national and international practice standards and guidelines and should be considered as a reference document for all Canadian workplace guidelines.
How We Started
Sonography Canada is the amalgamation of two organizations:
- Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (CSDMS); which had the objective of providing professional practice guidelines and policies, fostering continuing professional development, furthering the profession by recognizing excellence in professional practice and achievements in research, promoting the profession through communication with the public, government agencies and other health care organizations, and acting in the public interest providing national and international leadership on health issues.
- Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals (CARDUP); which was created with the goals of being responsive to the needs of the Canadian medical community in both official languages and to the establishment of bilingual written and practical exams that reflect Canadian standards.
We were established on January 1, 2014.