All Sonography Canada credential candidates must successfully complete the Core Examination which assesses fundamental skills applicable to all sonographers.
The Core Sonographic Skills Examination consists of 80 multiple-choice questions to be answered within an 80-minute timeframe.
This examination will focus on:
- knowledge of ultrasound physics principles
- general ultrasound technique and equipment operation
- patient management
- environment and safety issues
- compliance and professionalism
- analysis and reporting activities
Successful completion of the Core Sonographic Skills Examination is required for certification as a Generalist Sonographer, Cardiac Sonographer and Vascular Sonographer. Credit for this exam is transferable towards additional certifications in the future.