Alternate Pathway Applicants (External)
Updated March 3, 2021
* IMPORTANT * Due to COVID-19 we are not able to accept Alternate Pathway applications or conduct CCSA assessments at this time.
Individuals who have not completed a Canadian accredited sonography program or are seeking an additional credential may apply as an Alternate Pathway Applicant to earn a Sonography Canada credential(s).
For a list of pathway prerequisites, click HERE.
This webinar answers many of the common questions applicants to the Alternate Pathway ask us. After watching the webinar, reviewing the information on this page should clarify any questions you still have. Further questions can be submitted to email@example.com.
These applicants must submit an Alternate Pathway Application form to initiate the process. This will be assessed according to Sonography Canada’s Eligibility Policy. Note that this review can take up to six (6) weeks for the application to be processed.
If approved, candidates may move forward with the credentialing process; knowledge-based examinations and Canadian Clinical Skills Assessment (CCSA™).
- External Candidate Info Generalist, Cardiac and Vascular
- The Michener Institute of Education Generalist Bridging Program
- Self Assessment Readiness Tool™ for Medical Sonographer
- For all upcoming exam administration dates (until further notice), Sonography Canada exams will be administered online with remote proctoring. Due to the ongoing situation with the pandemic many in-person test centres remain closed or are open with significantly reduced capacity. All applicants must complete and submit the online application form below.
- If an applicant wishes to request accommodation at a test centre, they MUST contact Sonography Canada at firstname.lastname@example.org NO LATER THAN MARCH 17, 2021. This request should only be made in cases where the applicant does not have access to the required equipment (see #3 below). The request must include a preferred test centre location. However, availability for any site cannot be guaranteed.
- Equipment requirements for ‘Online Remote Proctoring’ exam delivery method: The following lists the basic equipment requirements. You must meet ALL the system requirements to access the exam. No exceptions.
- PC or Mac computer or laptop (chromebooks, tablets, iPads etc. are not supported)
- High speed internet (recommend a wired connection to internet, rather than wifi)
- Web Camera (1280 x 720 resolution recommended)
- A functioning microphone
- A handheld mirror/reflective device
Application forms for those wishing to challenge Sonography Canada credentialing examinations are available below during registration periods only.
Applications & Forms
- Alternate Pathway / External Candidate Application
- CCSA Application
- Alternate (External) Application for Examinations
- Exam Accommodation Request
- If a disability or impairment limits major life activities, a request for Exam Accommodations may be submitted in writing to Sonography Canada. This request must be submitted before the registration deadline of the exam session for which you are requesting exam accommodations.
- Exam Withdrawal and Refund
- Exam Results Appeals Request
- CCSA Result Appeals Request
Forward forms by email to:
or Fax: 1-888-743-2952