Alternate Pathway Applicants (External)
* IMPORTANT * Due to COVID-19 changes within our organization, we will not be accepting Alternate Pathway applications until further notice
Individuals who have not completed a Canadian accredited sonography program may apply as an Alternate Pathway Applicant to earn a Sonography Canada credential(s)
To learn more about prerequisites click HERE.
These applicants must submit an Alternate Pathway Application form to initiate the process. This will be assessed according to Sonography Canada’s Eligibility Policy. Note that this review can take up to six (6) weeks for the application to be processed.
If approved, candidates may move forward with the credentialing process; knowledge-based examinations and Canadian Clinical Skills Assessment (CCSA™).
- External Candidate Info Generalist, Cardiac and Vascular
- The Michener Institute of Education Generalist Bridging Program
- Self Assessment Readiness Tool™ for Medical Sonographer
- For all upcoming exam administration dates (until further notice), as an exam candidate you will have the choice to choose to take the Sonography Canada computer-based exams ‘online with remote proctoring (ProctorU)’ or in-person at a test centre.
With the ProctorU candidates:
- can take the exam at home, regardless of where they live (in Canada or abroad)
- use their own computer and Internet
- are monitored by a live proctor and artificial intelligence via web camera & microphone/speakers
Please note that, due to the current pandemic situation, there are quite a few test centre sites in our network that are not providing any guarantee about availability.
- Equipment requirements for ‘Online Remote Proctoring’ exam delivery method –
The following lists the basic equipment requirements. You must meet ALL the system requirements to access the exam. No exceptions.
- PC or Mac computer or laptop (chromebooks, tablets, iPads etc. are not supported)
- High speed internet (recommend a wired connection to internet, rather than wifi)
- Web Camera (1280 x 720 resolution recommended)
- A functioning microphone
- Adobe Flash
- A handheld mirror/reflective device
- Note that the $125.00 administration fee is non-refundable.
Application forms for those wishing to challenge Sonography Canada credentialing examinations are available below during registration periods only.
Applications & Forms
- Alternate Pathway / External Candidate Application
- Alternate (External) Application for Examinations form
- Exam Accommodation Request
- If a disability or impairment limits major life activities, a request for Exam Accommodations may be submitted in writing to Sonography Canada. This request must be submitted before the registration deadline of the exam session for which you are requesting exam accommodations.
- Exam Withdrawal and Refund
- Exam Results Appeals Request
- CCSA Result Appeals Request
Forward forms by email to:
or Fax: 1-888-743-2952