The Sonography Canada Awards Program recognizes and celebrates individuals who have made significant contributions to the profession of sonography or to the association. Each year, members can apply for bursaries or nominate peers, mentors or colleagues to have the outstanding achievements of sonographers across the country recognized.
Our awards recognize the various roles and accomplishments sonographers can have in their careers starting as students, then as mentors, educators or colleagues.
Awards Nominations Timelines:
- December/January: Call for nominations opens.
- April 30: Deadline for nominations.
- May: Awards Committee reviews and winner selection.
- May/June: Winners are notified by Sonography Canada; announced by Sonography Canada.
- September/October: Awards presentation at annual conference.
We follow the same timeline each year to maintain consistency for our members. We have added two weeks to the nomination period allowing for more time to propose worthy candidates.
We have also created a new online nomination form and submission portal. You can familiarize yourself with the eligibility, evaluation and selection criteria, nomination process, and prizes by clicking on the respective award in the list below.
We look forward to receiving your applications each year and want to encourage members to explore the opportunities available through awards. Inquiries and questions about awards can be sent by email to email@example.com.
Nominate a fellow Sonographer for one of our awards!
Submit a Nomination
Awards and Bursaries
Canada invites students from all Canadian accredited diagnostic medical
sonography programs to submit an outstanding written submission on a topic of
This award aims to encourage and recognize outstanding written case studies, essays and/or literature reviews by students across Canada, challenging students to write an article on a topic of interest they wish to share with fellow sonographers. This award also provides an opportunity to share interesting cases, discuss current issues, new ideas and information gives sonography students the chance experience the rewards of educating their peers and to inspire others to do the same.
- 2023: Jaylene Jay,
- 2022: Tiffany Hua, CRCS; Jennifer Lin, CRGS, CRCS and Olivia Jawanda, CRGS, CRCS
- 2021: Mohamed Nashnoush, CRGS
- 2020: Stefanie College, CRCS, CRGS; Sherry Hua, CRCS, CRGS and Helena Park, CRCS, CRGS
award celebrates outstanding junior sonographers who distinguish themselves at
the beginning of their careers by demonstrating their leadership, a desire to
further their knowledge and skills, and their active participation in the
There is a significant transition period between the status of an ultrasound student and that of an experienced sonographer. The purpose of this award is to recognize the achievements and contributions of junior sonographers during this transition period. By recognizing their achievements, we want to inspire students and sonographers to become more involved in improving our profession.
- 2023: Amy Bespalko, CRGS, CRCS
- 2022: Samantha Bienias, CRGS, CRCS
- 2021: Eleze Munro CRCS, CRGS
- 2020: Robert Dima, CRGS
The Fellowship Award recognizes the outstanding achievements of an Active member that have had a significant impact on the profession and our organization. This member clearly demonstrates the personal and professional qualities that lead them to make a significant contribution to our profession. Achievements may fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Professional service
- Patient relations
- Professional advocacy
- Student preceptorship
- Sonographer preceptorship
- 2023: Victor Lee, CRGS, CRCS
- 2022: Sheena Bhimji-Hewitt DMS, CRGS, CRVS , RVT, RDMS
- 2021: Margaret (Margie) MacDonald CRGS, CRCS
- 2020: Laura Prince, CRGS
This award recognizes written submissions from sonographers that aim to inform, educate and inspire their peers with educational topics from the sonography field or relating to the profession of sonography.
- 2022: Shane Balthazaar, CRCS
- 2021: Alana Currie CRGS, CRCS
- 2020: Alana Currie, CRCS
award recognizes current members who have exemplified excellence in
professional leadership and are recognized as outstanding mentors. Mentors can
act as an advisor, an expert who freely shares their knowledge and/or a
supporter colleague who offers moral and emotional support. In essence, they
are members who know how to inspire others.
Sonography Canada seeks to recognize these exemplary mentors whose efforts are further enhancing our profession by motivating their colleagues and contributing to the improvement of their skills and potential.
- 2022: Christina Shahipour, CRGS, CRCS, CRVS
- 2021: Shane Balthazaar CRCS, RDCS, FASE
- 2020: Suzanne Paradis, CRGS
Sonography Canada Award for Outstanding Journal Submission acknowledges members
who have exemplified excellence in providing educational and informative
articles to the Canadian Journal of Medical Sonography (CJMS). These members
have taken the lead in understanding current trends and find time to share
their knowledge with other sonographers to share, excite and educate.
This award recognizes fellow members who believe in education and knowledge sharing. Sonography Canada Awards recognize exemplary members whose efforts have strengthened our profession by enhancing the ability and potential of all of their peers.
- 2023: Mohamed Nashnoush, CRGS, CRVS
- 2021: Nicole Marley, X Fatima Tul Zahra and Raquel Teichroeb
- 2020: Natasha Quin, CRGS, CRVS and Briana Cartwright, CRGS
This bursary was established to recognize Peter McLardie’s extensive contributions to the ultrasound profession in Canada. The bursary is awarded in two categories each to offset the costs associated with education.
We offer bursaries to both Students and Active Sonographers. To read more about the bursary, click here.
- 2023: Jaylene Jay (Student)
- 2022: Mohamed Nashnoush (Student) and Emily Slack CRCS, RDCS (Sonographer)
- 2021: Emma MacCulloch (Student)
- 2020: Tanya Dennis-Humeniuk, Katie Molnar and Nikolina Mandusic (Student) and Shane Balthazaar, CRCS (Sonographer)
Lifetime Achievement Award formally recognizes a Sonography Canada member for
their exceptional leadership, service and passion for excellence in sonography.
We would like to acknowledge sonographers who have continued to render
exceptional services to the sonography profession and whose achievements in
their careers and in the community, have earned them distinction.
This award recognizes an individual’s outstanding contributions made throughout their career which have served to advance excellence in the profession and continue to inspire others in their community.
- 2023: John Christopher Harrington, CRGS, CRCS, CRVS
- 2022: Denise MacIver, CRGS, CRCS-AE-PE
- 2021: Ellen Johnstone CRGS