CPD Activity Categories
- Must directly involve the practice of sonography.
- Must enrich the member in a direct way by improving sonography knowledge, performance and competency to directly improve patient care.
Relevant to Practice
- Not sonography based but must enhance professional practice.
- These activities enable the member to expand and improve their knowledge, skills and inter-professional relationships, promoting and enhancing the profession of diagnostic medical sonography and ultimately enhancing patient care.
- Relevant to practice areas include nursing, medicine, MLT, MRT, vascular and cardiac non-sonography education, management/business, educator material, veterinary sonography, etc.
Directed activities are learning activities that have been pre-approved by Sonography Canada or another approved CPD provider and must have a certificate of completion to obtain CPD credits.
Sonography Canada approved list of CPD providers for Directed activities:
- AIUM (American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine)
- AMA (American Medical Association) – Category 1
- ARDMS (American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography)
- ASA (Australasian Sonographers Association)
- ASE (American Society of Echocardiography)
- ASRT (American Society of Radiologic Technologists)
- ASUM (Australian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine)
- BMUS (British Medical Ultrasound Society)
- BSE (British Society of Echocardiography)
- CAMRT (Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists)
- CSE (Canadian Society of Echocardiography)
- CSVS (Canadian Society of Vascular Surgery)
- EACVI (European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging)
- EAE (European Association of Echocardiography)
- EFSUMB (European Federation of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology)
- FMF (Fetal Medicine Foundation)
- ESVS (European Society for Vascular Surgery)
- ISUOG (International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- RCPSC (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada)
- SDMS (Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers)
- SC (Sonography Canada)
- SVS (Society of Vascular Surgery)
- SVU (Society of Vascular Ultrasound)
- VSGBI (Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland)
Are not pre-approved. These activities will require the member to provide a record of the type of learning activity, date, and time spent on activity.
Self-Reflection will be required for all Self-Directed activities. A short summary statement will be selected from a drop-down list describing how the activity is relevant to sonography or your practice. You will also have the option to include a brief description of the activity’s relevance. This will serve as a reminder of your key learning experience.
Please consult the following fact sheets to learn more about the different types of CPD activities:
- Full Program Summary
- Sonography Based – Directed
- Sonography Based – Self-Directed
- Relevant to Practice – Directed and Self-Directed