5 Tips to De-Stress During Ever-Changing TimesJanuary 24, 2022
We as a society are struggling with an uncertain future, and have been since the pandemic began. Sonography Canada has watched its membership base get up everyday, put on a brave face, and head into work, at times understaffed and for most dealing with a patient backlog, all to ensure that their ever-important role in the healthcare system is covered. We are grateful for each and every one of you, and are honored as an association to be representing you as a whole.
Mental health is critical, and has come to the forefront of the conversation of late. We must ensure that we are taking care of ourselves, our mind, body, and spirit so that we can take care of others. But at times, when you are feeling stuck in a wheel of stress, and it seems like there is no end in sight, it can be hard to find ways to de-compress and find joy. We have compiled 5 Tips to help you get started:
- Laugh – Laugh as Often as You Can: Let’s not underestimate the power of laughter. According to Psychology Today, “laughter can boost the immune system, relax muscles, aid circulation, and protect against heart disease. It can abet mental health, too, laughter can lower anxiety, release tension, improve mood, and foster resilience.”
- Count Your Blessings: Let’s face it – life is enormously challenging right now. Counting your blessings and practicing gratitude can help induce calm. Say them out loud, write them down in a journal. Just knowing you have a lot to be grateful for at times is not enough, putting them out there (verbally or in writing) can reinforce all the good that is in your life.
- Stay Connected: We need to continue to make a point of connecting with others regularly. It is SO important to stay connected in times where anxiety and isolation (real or perceived) are high. Reach out to family members – friends – your colleagues – in person (when you can), by phone, send a text message, FaceTime them, whatever you can.
- Limit Your Time Surfing Social Media / Limit Your Consumption of News: When most items being posted are about the pandemic, this can increase your level of anxiety and stress. Turn it off! Yes, we realize that you cannot turn it off forever, but set yourself a time limit to stay informed, and choose your sources wisely. Then, shut it down (or, go find pictures of cute puppies).
- Find a Hobby: Get creative – and de-stress! Some have taken up baking bread, some are knitting, painting, completing puzzles… find something that you can enjoy, that does not take a lot of brain power. It’s a great way to pass the time!
What are you doing to de-stress during the pandemic? We would love to hear from you! Sonography Canada members who take a photo of their new hobby, or write to us telling us what they are doing to de-stress will be entered into a draw to win one of three $50 Amazon Gift Cards.
Contest is open until January 31, 2022. The draw will take place on February 4, 2022.